The Lord promised that he would never leave us, nor forsake us. The story of our church starts with those true words.
Through a number of disappointments and problems, God was with the founders of this church
On June 25, 1948, in the home of the Bowers, the Holy Ghost led 40 people to create a new congregation with only 15 members. They began with $15.00 offering from the appointed Deacons: Brother W. L. Bowers; Brother Eston Bowers; and Brother Elbert Clemons, and no physical location, no place to worship and fellowship, no home. With no money and no home, they sought the Lord's favor and found it! The church multiplied, a home plot was purchased for $250.00, and they started building on the land. Eventually, they were able to build an equip the brick building that you see here today.
Before the church was even established, the Lord called upon a shepherd filled with the Holy Ghost, W. W. Ward, who spoke at the first meeting in 1948 and became the first official pastor of Hunter Memorial Baptist. During Pastor Ward's call, the Lord added more than 300 people to the church. The building was dedicated on August 14, 1960.
Never in this community has the Lord taken so few and so little and grew them and done so much.